Gordon Wu
Name: Gordon Wu
Occupation: Real Estate
Gender: Male
Birth Day: December 1, 1935
Age: 85
Birth Place: Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Social Accounts

Gordon Wu

Gordon Wu was born on December 1, 1935 in Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong (85 years old). Gordon Wu is a Real Estate, . Nationality: Hong Kong. Approx. Net Worth: $1.13 Billion. With the net worth of $1.13 Billion, Gordon Wu is the #1099 richest person on earth all the time in our database.

Net Worth 2020

$1.13 Billion
Find out more about Gordon Wu net worth here.

Family Members

# Name Relationship Net Worth Salary Age Occupation
#1 Thomas Wu Children N/A N/A N/A
#2 Wu Chung Parents N/A N/A N/A
#3 James Wu Man-hon Siblings N/A N/A N/A
#4 Ivy Kwok Wu Spouse N/A N/A N/A

Physique

Height Weight Hair Colour Eye Colour Blood Type Tattoo(s)
N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Biography

Biography Timeline

1953

Wu studied engineering at the University of Manitoba in 1953, then transferred to Princeton University. Wu graduated from Princeton with a bachelor of science degree in engineering (BSc.Eng.) in 1958, and currently serves as a trustee for the university. Before that, he attended Wah Yan College, a Jesuit secondary school in Hong Kong.

1979

Gordon Wu designed the first build-operate-transfer (BOT) project for the China Hotel in 1979, thus "leading the way" into China. Wu and Hopewell went on to build power plants (Shajiao B and C) and other infrastructure projects in China, using the BOT structure.

1984

In 1984, Wu donated US$5 million worth of his company shares to Princeton University and formed a charity fund. Wu also pledged US$100 million to the university, a sum he planned to make available for university use in 2008, on the occasion of his 50th reunion. In a talk given in October 2006, however, Wu revealed intentions of making the contribution available to the university sooner. He completed this pledge, with the last payment in 2006–2007.

2002

As one of the founders of Hopewell, he was the managing director from 1972 to 2002. In January 2002, he retired as the managing director of the company but remains as chairman of the board. He was responsible for Hopewell's infrastructure projects in mainland China and Southeast Asia and has been involved in the design and construction of many buildings and development projects in Hong Kong and mainland China. He is also the chairman of Hopewell Highway Infrastructure Limited, subsidiary of Hopewell listed on August 2003, and an independent non-executive director of i-Cable Communications Limited.

2003

Wu has been an advocate for more than two decades for the construction of Asia's largest bridge project linking Hong Kong, Macau, and China's Zhuhai city. The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge project was given support by the PRC government in August 2003. The bridge will traverse two-man-made islands, allowing it to go through an undersea tunnel and let shipping pass. The concept is based on the existing Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel in Virginia, United States.

Gordon Wu has spoken out in opposition to the development of democracy in Hong Kong. He joined more than 80 of Hong Kong's richest business tycoons and their heirs apparent headed for Beijing on 26 September 2003 on an annual pilgrimage. The same year, he told the Chinese University of Hong Kong executive MBA programme that he opposed direct elections in Hong Kong which, he believed, would cause many problems. Noting that only 10 per cent of Hong Kong citizens pay taxes, with the remaining 90 per cent receiving subsidies in various forms, e.g., public housing, healthcare, and education, if direct elections were introduced, this group would, with the help of the politicians they had voted in, "get not only free lunches, but free dinners and breakfasts."

2010

In the run up to the December 2005 protest for democracy in Hong Kong, he said that demonstrators are mobs, and democracy is mobocracy. At a meeting attended by then Vice President Xi Jinping in 2010, he stated, "A small number of people ... are against everything the SAR government wants to do and against everything that's from the central government. They are also using such slogans as 'uprising' and 'liberation'. These show they have hidden purposes."

🎂 Upcoming Birthday

Currently, Gordon Wu is 85 years, 8 months and 2 days old. Gordon Wu will celebrate 86th birthday on a Wednesday 1st of December 2021.

Find out about Gordon Wu birthday activities in timeline view here.

Gordon Wu trends

FAQs

  1. Who is Gordon Wu ?
  2. How rich is Gordon Wu ?
  3. What is Gordon Wu 's salary?
  4. When is Gordon Wu 's birthday?
  5. When and how did Gordon Wu became famous?
  6. How tall is Gordon Wu ?
  7. Who is Gordon Wu 's girlfriend?
  8. List of Gordon Wu 's family members?
  9. Why do people love Gordon Wu?